Co-Op Intern - Labor Relations
Company: CH2M HILL Plateau Remediation Company (CHPRC)
Posted on: October 27, 2019
Work Safe, Make a Difference, and Be a Part of History with the
Labor Relations team!
At CH2M Hill Plateau Remediation Company (CHPRC), located in sunny
Richland, Washington, we are working to provide a sustainable
future for the historic Hanford area through the protection of the
Columbia River and the remediation of the Central Plateau. To
achieve our mission, we need exceptionally talented, innovative,
and driven people to help us reduce risks on the Hanford Site by
removing some of the most hazardous waste streams and facilities in
the Department of Energy (DOE) complex. If you would like to work
with a highly skilled workforce to achieve unique and challenging
goals that critically impact our environment and community, this is
your chance to be a part of our legacy!
Our Labor Relations team is seeking a dedicated Co-Op Intern who
has the desire to learn how to implement contractual requirements
through the administration, interpretation and negotiation of the
CHPRC/HAMTC Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), including:
related processes and the Company position on union
grievances/disputes, arbitration hearings; movement of union
personnel internal and between other Hanford Site Contractors;
formal communications with HAMTC and the AFL-CIO Metal Trades
Department on union related matters.
A day in the life of a Co-op Labor Relations Intern may involve,
but is not limited to the following:
* Interpreting, negotiating, and administering the Company/Union
Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), and ensuring it is uniformly
applied in accordance with contractual requirements while
interpreting its meaning/intent and ensuring adherence to
* Participating in the development of strategies and general
preparations for arbitration hearings, National Labor Relations
Board cases, and CBA/special agreement negotiations.
* Interfacing daily with all levels of CHPRC management while
providing guidance, recommendations, and problem solving
* Interfacing with union officials from both HAMTC and the Building
& Construction Trades, affiliate unions' leadership, and company
representatives to resolve Company/Labor Relations-related issues,
including grievance issues by utilizing problem solving techniques
and information exchanges.
* Coordinating grievances and other CBA/Hanford Site Stabilization
Agreement (HSSA) issues with LR peers and first line/middle
management personnel of other Hanford contractors.
* Interpreting and administering the current CBA & HSSA, including
providing management sound guidance/recommendations to ensure CBA &
HSSA compliance when performing day-to-day operations. This is done
under minimal supervision, with wide latitude for independent
judgment that is consistent with Company philosophy, goals and
* Investigating grievance issues and work with applicable parties
to resolve issues in accordance with the CBA/HSSA and Company
policies and procedures.
* Maintaining open communications with union officials and upper
management to keep them informed of Company initiatives and
significant issues that could affect bargaining unit.
* Supporting the development of Labor Relations/Human Resources
organizational initiatives while encouraging and promoting strong
Company / Union work relations.
* Understanding and complying with CHPRC policies and procedures,
safety responsibilities, Conduct of Operations, procedure
compliance expectations, Standards of Conduct guidelines, training
requirements, and instructions.
* Thoroughly investigates and researches issues/incidents, compares
results to established standards (i.e., CBA & HSSA provisions,
policies/procedures, legalese, accepted practice etc.) and
formulates appropriate conclusions/recommendations for
* Performs work in a safe, compliant, and cost-effective
* Pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Business, Labor Relations, Human
Resources, Contracts, or related field of study.
* Enrolled with WSU-TC or CBC and in Junior academic standing
status or higher
* Have maintained an overall GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or greater
throughout academic career
* Have maintained full-time student status two semesters/quarters
immediately preceding the assignment with CHPRC (note: full-time
status is determined by the requirements of WSU-TC and CBC)
* Willing and able to work 20-32 hours a week
* Committed to staying in school full-time until graduating
* Candidate must possess strong verbal and written communication
skills, negotiation skills, and be able to effectively interact
with and convey information to company personnel, management, and
Relocation Funding Provided
U.S. Citizenship Required
Shift Work Required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: CH2M HILL Plateau Remediation Company (CHPRC), Richland , Co-Op Intern - Labor Relations, Other , Richland, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!