Licensing Engineer 3 (COLA)
Company: NuScale Power, LLC
Posted on: June 6, 2021
POSITION SUMMARY: Under occasional supervision, the Licensing
Engineer 3 provides project licensing direction for assigned
regulatory projects while ensuring compliance with nuclear safety
and licensing requirements. The Licensing Engineer 3 ensures the
development of timely and high quality products for submittal to
the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). The Licensing Engineer
also provides licensing services to engineering, test, safety
analysis internal resources on regulatory and licensing activities
in support of licensing projects. The Licensing Engineer interfaces
with the NRC on assigned activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the resolution of complex issues and processes to
ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements for
- Provides tactical direction and technical regulatory guidance
to internal project resources, cross-functional work teams, and
NuScale management for complex issues to resolve licensing
strategy, implementation or interpretation issues.
- Oversees and supports licensing programs and schedules for
various regulatory engagements and actions. Provides support for
regulatory meetings and hearings for assigned projects.
- Oversees and supports interface with clients and provide
support to clients as required. Manages inputs to the regulatory
applications and other legal processes for obtaining licenses and
- Oversees and supports interface and interactions with industry
groups (e.g., NEI, EPRI etc.) as directed by the responsible
- Oversees and supports submittal of project licensing documents
and ensures that licensing documents are complete, accurate and in
compliance with the licensing strategy, commitments, and statutory
requirements in all material respects.
- Prepares, edits, and reviews regulatory submittals to
regulatory agencies in support of NuScale licensing efforts.
Applies authoring, reviewing editing, document planning, and
organizational skills in the preparation of a large and complex
nuclear license applications.
- Develops effective regulatory strategy based on industry and
regulatory guidance documents; makes recommendations based on the
analysis of technical and regulatory information through
- Ensures NuScale program compliance with applicable regulations,
codes and standards.
- Implements lessons learned and industry best practices at
NuScale; actively involved in industry groups/forums as
- Travels domestically and/or internationally to various
regulator and industry locations when performing assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the
individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the
essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily
in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely
manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own
judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team
members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks
clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for
accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex
written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal
networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities,
organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks
project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment,
manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent
interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to
management expectations and solicits feedback to improve
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal
networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is
expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Education/Certification: A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in
Engineering, Engineering Technology or Science is required.
Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of six years' regulatory affairs or
licensing experience in the nuclear industry at nuclear power
plants, nuclear reactor suppliers, or nuclear industry
architect-engineering is required. Other nuclear, Navy nuclear,
engineering and legal/regulatory background may be considered.
Experience involving direct interactions with regulatory agencies
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of
Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and
implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and
guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone,
personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and
understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a
rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk;
bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands
- Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and
responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety
threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to
describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended
to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties and/or skills required of all employees in this
Keywords: NuScale Power, LLC, Richland , Licensing Engineer 3 (COLA), Other , Richland, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!