Bus Safety Specialist
Company: Ben Franklin Transit
Posted on: May 6, 2021
Ben Franklin Transit is hiring a Bus Safety Specialist to assist
in the development, implementation, and audit of bus system safety
programs; conduct bus accident investigations,
hazard management, and building regulatory compliance relating to
the Agency's bus system and facilities to promote and enhance safe
Minimum Qualifications: Associate's Degree in Business or Safety
Management or related
field and three-years of safety experience in public
transportation; or an equivalent combination
of education and experience. Most possess a valid drivers
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Business or Safety
Management or related field
and five-years of safety experience in public transportation.
BFT is an EEO Employer
(BFT) provides exceptional and cost-effective transportation
services that consistently exceed customer expectations while
promoting the principles and practices of livable communities and
sustainable development. OUR VALUESWe value customer service,
collaboration, diversity, fiscal accountability, innovation,
sustainability and safety. Employees and representatives of BFT are
expected to uphold our values and mission.NATURE OF POSITIONAssist
in the development, implementation, and audit of bus system safety
programs; conduct bus accident investigations, hazard management,
and building regulatory compliance relating to the Agency's bus
system and facilities to promote and enhance safe operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities/KSA
- Participate in the development and maintenance of bus system
safety, security, and
- emergency management programs.
- Conduct all vehicle accident investigations; inspect vehicle
accident scenes, injuries, and property damage; collect and
preserve evidence; prepare investigative reports; make loss
mitigation recommendations following established guidelines and
- Endorse safety awareness; provide guidance and coaching;
demonstrate proactive, frontline leadership to promote a culture of
safety through forward thinking hazard management.
- Identify risk reducing measures to avoid future vehicle
accidents or vehicle related injuries; recommend solutions; ensure
resolution of issues/concerns.
- Review bus accidents and incidents videos, statements and
witness reports. Log and secure all information in compliance with
record retention requirements.
- Provide professional safety consultations and mentoring to
improve and ensure bus operator job and safety performance; develop
and present bus operator and maintenance staff training, as
- Participate in employee safety committees, compliance
monitoring, and vehicle hazard report follow-up; conduct monthly
Operator/Driver accident and injury reduction committee meetings;
monitor compliance with safety procedures.
- Assist operational, labor relations and risk management staff
with preparations for union step grievances, arbitrations etc.;
prepare and provide needed videos, evidence, and documentation.
Attend hearings, as necessary.
- Conduct hazard assessments, safety reviews, audits, and
inspections of BFT vehicles; perform testing for fire/life safety,
safety certification; monitor bus operations at transit
- Maintain and coordinate Agency's (BFT) Defensive Driver
- Perform duties related to Occupational Safety and Health
Administration (OSHA) compliance for transit vehicle safety;
document the annual Bureau of Labor and Statistics survey
(year-end); assist with Occupational and Industrial Safety in
response to investigations.
- Address vehicle safety related issues as related to all
facilities. Partner with Facilities Management and Planning
personnel for in construction and future planning relevant to safe
vehicle access, operations and special related size requirements
for buildings, bus stops and transit centers. Review blueprints and
plans; attend construction meeting; assess vehicle operation and
navigation issues in and around construction zones.
- Research and develop written policies and procedures to
implement provisions of WISHA/DOSH/OSHA and other regulations
related to bus operational safety and driver occupational health;
partner with HR/Labor and Communications to develop and maintain
relevant safety policies and procedures manuals.
- Monitor health and safety legislative and regulatory changes;
evaluate implications for the Agency's bus-related policies,
programs, and operations; recommend changes to ensure
- Review Driver and Operator e assessments and evaluations;
maintain bus safety program training evaluations and
- Administer and/or assist in the Agency's claims management
process; receive, monitor, and resolve claims or potential claims
against the Agency, including citizen claims for damages and
employee claims for on-the-job injuries related to vehicle
operations and vehicle-related injuries.
- Ensure compliance with Department of Licensing, Department of
Transportation State and Federal laws. Partner with Human Resources
to ensure driver credentials are current and properly documentation
is on file.
- May be contacted to perform work outside of regular business
- Work with and maintain confidential information.
- Demonstrate regular and punctual attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act (WISHA), OSHA,
Washington State Transit Insurance Pool (WSTIP), and Washington
State Transit Association (WSTA) rules and requirements.
- Understand and apply Federal, State, and local laws, rules,
codes, and regulations related to assigned activities, including
occupational health and safety programs.
- Principles and practices of comprehensive transit system safety
programs including safety training, environmental health and
safety, accident investigation and hazardous waste.
- Familiarity with traditional and modern training methods,
tools, and techniques.
- Experience in preparing and managing training, safety, security
and emergency preparedness programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with a diverse group of
employees and internal customers.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to proactively
identify and support creative and viable solutions.
- Experience with accident investigation processes, methods, and
techniques; hazard analysis procedures.
- Write clear, concise reports and documentation.
- React quickly and calmly in emergency situations and adopt an
effective course of action within established guidelines.
- Utilize specialized software, digital records and video
libraries, related to the functional area.
- Use history and databases to identify safety hazards prior to
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those
contacted during work.
- Learn new technologies, policies, procedures and guidelines
established by professional organizations and/or governing
- Utilize office equipment and other relevant technology
(software and systems) to meet business needs.
- Understand, follow, and communicate clearly and concisely, both
orally and in writing.
- Work as a team member and independently; effectively apply
organizational and time management skills; meet deadlines and
comply with Agency policies.
- Exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
- Focus on tasks and recall details; handle frequent
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSAssociate degree in Business/Management,
Safety Management, or related field and three-years of safety
experience in public transportation; or an equivalent combination
of experience, training, and education. Must possess a valid
driver's license.LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS & OTHER REQUIREMENTSMust
obtain and maintain the following licenses and certifications for
continued employment at BFT:
- First Aid and CPR certification; or ability to obtain within
180-days of employment.
- OSHA (10 or 30) Certification or obtain one within 180-days of
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSBachelor's Degree in Business/Management,
Safety Management, or related field and five-years of safety
experience in public transportation.
- Collaboration: Shares time and knowledge with others; adjusts
priorities as circumstances dictate; follows through on
commitments, accepts responsibility for actions, resolves
interpersonal conflicts constructively.
- Diversity: Demonstrates an awareness and respect of cultural
and individual values. Treats all people with dignity, courtesy and
- Fiscal Accountability: Actively contributes to the productivity
of the agency; demonstrates good stewardship of company time and
resources; displays high standards of ethical conduct.
- Customer Service: Anticipates the needs of internal and
external customers; delivers quality work products and services
within expected timeframes. Considers and responds appropriately to
people in various situations.
- Innovation: Considers new approaches to situations; encourages
ideas and improvements.
- Sustainability: Actively encourages environmental benefits and
the conservation of natural resources.
- Safety: Adheres to safety related laws, regulations, standards,
and practices; performs work in a safe manner; encourages and
supports others to be safe while at work.
Keywords: Ben Franklin Transit, Richland , Bus Safety Specialist, Other , Richland, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!