Manager, Contract Manufacturing for Innovation
Company: Lamb Weston
Posted on: January 11, 2019
Job Description Summary
This newly created position plays a pivotal role in Lamb Weston's vision to deliver consistent and sustainable growth through innovation. Critical business capabilities include driving product and packaging innovation and advancing adjacencies through manufacturing capabilities or acquisition. The Manager, Contract Manufacturing and Innovation will serve as the main point of contact to locate and develop worldwide manufacturing capabilities. This role is charged with monitoring the pulse of the worldwide food manufacturing industry, to proactively see opportunities and gaps Lamb Weston can use to drive innovation.
Key objectives include developing and maintaining relationships with strategic/ high spend / high risk contract manufacturers and maintaining performance to Lamb Weston standards around Quality, Service, Food Safety and Costs. Additionally, managing strategic / high value / high risk projects and business unit initiatives is essential to driving the right product at the right cost.
This position will work mainly with the dedicated discovery innovation team whose focus is on the identification and expansion of opportunities beyond our current boundaries (e.g., new markets, new technological advancements, and new business models). Development of the opportunities through building, buying, and/or manufacturing incubation/partnering is critical to presenting final recommendation.
- Collaborates with other team members to generate new product and packaging ideas.
- Creates external network of potential technology sources and links in strategic areas.
- Assists with identifying external sources of new technologies for use in potato product or processing.
- Translates findings to potential applications and opportunities.
- Primary liaison between Discovery team and COMAN.
- Attends trade shows/technical meetings inside and outside industry to discover new technologies for application in potatoes.
- Identifies and fosters external relationships with potential co-packing companies.
- Ensures the entire value chain, key strategies and potential risks to optimize company returns are calculated and communicated.
- Business acumen
- Negotiates access to manufacturing assets for scale up validation, business terms and access to external technologies for initial validation/proof of concept.
- Ability to understand and leverage business opportunities, company strategies and key metrics in making decisions which deliver results.
- Validates external manufacturing locations for new products and packaging.
- Evaluates potential Co-packer for fit with LW (culture, quality, food safety).
- Liaison with the Operations function for internal manufacturing to align with Company manufacturing strategy to maximize leverage between Contract Manufacturing, Marketing, Innovation, Quality, Manufacturing, Procurement and Logistic departments.
- Work with the Procurement function to help develop manufacturing and capacity strategies that are consistent with the current and future sourcing strategies.
- Partners with Commercialization team to manage project handoffs from pilot through full-scale execution to ensure specifications are established prior to production and all parameters are achieved during the qualification, verification and commercialization steps.
- Ensure adequate technical representation (Quality, Innovation and Procurement) is present during project phases.
- Primary liaison between internal and Co-Packer resources to ensure alignment and effective communications.
- Ongoing Maintenance & Continuous Improvement @ Innovation Co-packers
- Establish and report KPI's for co-manufacturers on quality, food safety, customer service and financial reporting. Develop and execute strategies to improve performance.
- Conduct regular Operational Improvement reviews with Contract Manufacturers to improve production efficiency and reduce production cost.
- Analyze manufacturing best practices within facilities and drive implementation of these practices into the key strategic Contract Manufacturers.
- Serve as the primary function for obtaining operational savings at Contract Manufacturer facilities and ensure that savings are tracking according to expectations through validation to implementation.
- Provide focus and coordination around resolving and communicating immediate business issues (i.e., recalls, product going on hold, or other significant unusual occurrences).
- Accountable for engaging business partners and establishing a communication flow across all functional groups in the management of the capital strategy for both short and long term goals.
- Manage inventory discrepancies and claims for excess losses or supplier issues between Contract Manufacturer and Corporate functions to control costs and ensure quick resolution of outstanding issues.Job Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree required; Master 's degree preferred - Business Management, Project Management, or similar
- 5 years of food manufacturing operational experience, especially co-manufacturing
- Food ingredient/packaging materials/processing expertise
- Procurement / Purchasing expertise
- Demonstrated business acumen - Leader of self: Information savvy, end to end supply chain, continuous improvement
- Broad external network, able to act on past relationships across broad product manufacturing categories
- TPM experience (problem solving / root cause analysis experience).
- Ability to interact with academia/government/start-ups
- Early adapter for technology and future thinking
- Visionary thinker
- Working knowledge of Intellectual Property protection and processes.
- Ability to translate findings into application.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Capital expenditure costing and startup P&L forecasting experience
- IP/Patent experience
- Negotiation lead
- Cross functional team experience - extended team leadership
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel, Office, project management software, Salesforce and SharePoint
- Travel estimated at 50%, including domestic and international
- Ability to obtain Passport and Visas as necessary for international travel
- Valid US Driver's License and driving record that meets Lamb Weston Driving Standards
Keywords: Lamb Weston, Richland , Manager, Contract Manufacturing for Innovation, Executive , Richland, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!