Senior Purchasing Specialist
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Requisition ID: 248584
Requisition Posting End Date: 01/20/2022
Bechtel is designing, constructing and commissioning the world's
largest radioactive waste treatment plant for the U.S. Department
of Energy at the Hanford Site in southeastern Washington state. The
Hanford Tank Waste Treatment and Immobilization Plant will use
vitrification technology to process and solidify 56 million gallons
(210 million liters) of radioactive and chemical waste stored at
the Hanford site, which is a byproduct of plutonium production
during World War II and the Cold War era.
The project is the largest undertaking of its kind and one of DOE's
most technically challenging cleanup projects. Its construction
spans 65 acres (26 hectares) with four major nuclear facilities -
Pretreatment, Low-Activity Waste Vitrification, High-Level Waste
Vitrification and Analytical Laboratory - as well as operations and
maintenance buildings, utilities, other support facilities.
The Waste Treatment Completion Company (WTCC) is a limited
liability corporation created by Bechtel National Inc. (BNI) and
Amentum. WTCC is a subcontractor to BNI, the prime contractor, to
deliver the construction, turnover, startup, and commissioning
activities for the WTP project.
This position may be located at the Construction Site (22 miles
north of Richland) and works a 4 x 10 schedule, M-Th, 6:30 a.m. to
5 p.m. Selected applicant needs to be able and willing to work
weekends as needed.
Performs procurement duties by formulating, awarding and
administering moderately to large complex purchasing agreements;
procurement strategy, including bidder prequalification, compiling
bidder lists, bid solicitation preparation, bid analysis,
negotiation and commitment of purchasing agreements. Performs
administration of purchase orders following commitments involving
high monetary expenditure or risk, engineered technical
specifications, or supplementary commercial conditions, and
potential follow-on services for supplier support of
troubleshooting of for start-up or commissioning. Negotiates with
suppliers/subcontractors to obtain settlement and prepares change
order and amendment documentation.
A. Supervision Received
* Reports to and receives operational direction from the Purchasing
* Receives functional guidance from the global business unit
* At jobsite locations, reports to and receives operational
direction from the Project Field Procurement Manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
* Maintains working relationships with project Procurement
personnel and project discipline personnel in order to perform
* Maintains working relationships with those bidders and
suppliers/subcontractors involved with the performance of assigned
* Maintains contacts with global business unit personnel, including
functional supervisors, to maintain an awareness of the performance
and operating problems of contractors on other Bechtel jobs, and to
coordinate the development of problem resolutions, of claims
settlements, and other contractual matters.
1. Reviews and develops other commercial and technical data
prepared by Engineering, Construction, Finance, Traffic &
Logistics, Insurance, Tax and other procurement functional groups
and inputs suitable terminology into pro-forma documents.
2. May provide input in the development of project purchasing
3. Prepares, maintains and monitors project bidders lists, ensuring
input is received from all procurement/project functions and other
4. Participates in the planning, work hour calculations, budgeting
and other related activities in projecting purchasing staffing
requirements for projects.
5. Reviews international project commercial conditions of
purchasing to ensure purchasing pro-forma terms, conditions and
procedures are compatible with applicable Bechtel Directives,
Instructions and Procurement Procedures.
6. Forms, issues, and administers purchasing agreements or service
agreements related to procured materials and equipment.
Communicates with suppliers/subcontractors to achieve required
service and to meet project needs. Communicates with Engineering to
assist and/or guide them in the preparation of material
7. Prepares and organizes assigned Procurement sponsored
8. Directs negotiations in the commitment of purchases, following
review and approval of the proposed negotiating plan by the
9. Provides training and guidance to other purchasing personnel
regarding all aspects of formation and administration of purchasing
forms, procedures, and buying goods.
10. Assists project Procurement team when instructed in solving and
attending to administrative problems on commitments involving high
monetary expenditure or risk, engineered technical specifications
or supplemental commercial conditions. Monitors billing for
* Preferred, but not required, previous experience working on the
Hanford Tank Waste Treatment and Immobilization Plant.
* Proficiency and experience in the formation and administration of
purchasing agreements and service agreements.
* Proficiency in all phases of procurement including knowledge of
and skill in communicating effectively with
suppliers/subcontractors, bidder prequalification, preparation of
bidders lists, compilation of bid requests, knowledge of Uniform
Commercial Code or applicable commercial legislation, negotiation
of contracted terms and conditions, and award of commitments.
* Proficiency in the administration of commitments, monitoring
supplier/subcontractor performance, backcharge procedures, and the
resolution of claims and disputes.
* Skilled in working with and communicating effectively both orally
and in writing with other project functional groups, primarily
Engineering, Construction, Project Management and other
* Solid knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulations, and
applicable Agency Supplements.
* Solid understanding of Governmental Contracts and the flow-down
of applicable clauses and requirements.
* Solid understanding of Cost Accounting Standards, and
determination process for applicability to the work.
* Knowledge of international commercial conditions of buying as
well as international suppliers.
* Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university and a
minimum of six years progressive related experience including but
not limited to Procurement and Contracts preferably in an
engineering, procurement, and construction environment. In lieu of
formal degree a minimum of twelve years of progressive related
experience including but not limited to Procurement and Contracts
preferably in an engineering, procurement, and construction
* Possess the legal right to work and remain in the United States
* Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen,
physical (if located at the construction site), and background
check which includes verification of employment and education.
* Must be able to obtain a Department of Energy badge for access to
the Hanford Site.
* Good written and verbal communication skills.
* Knowledge of standard computer applications such as Microsoft
Bechtel's internal staffing policy includes the minimum time that
you need to be in your current position before applying to a new
position. Please refer to the applicable policy manual and ensure
you meet the minimum requirements.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering,
construction, and project management companies. Together with our
customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term
progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we've completed more than
25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven
continents. We operate through four global businesses:
Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and
Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than
a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values,
the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These
values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and
what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and
expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status
(except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic
information, and any other characteristic protected by federal,
state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe
workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our
families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory
COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include
a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your
Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work
location for the job you are seeking.
Keywords: Bechtel, Richland , Senior Purchasing Specialist, Accounting, Auditing , Richland, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!